New Year Goal for Gorgeous Skin
It is the new year and a time when we think about the goals we hope to accomplish in the year. It can be a daunting task but creating new habits is about consistency and discipline. Starting a simple beauty regimen to reset your daily routine is achievable if you keep it simple. I believe strongly in cleansing, nurturing and protecting your skin for a luminous complexion. And never forget the neck, décolletage and hands.
- Cleansing: It can be tempting to fall asleep with the days make up and pollution on your face, but it can lead to congested skin and clogged pores. Cleansing your face twice daily is simple and effective. It is important to exfoliate and using a Clarisonic Mia Sonic Cleansing System is a gentle way to exfoliate dead skin and debris so that skincare can penetrate better and for your own new skin to radiate.
- Nuture your skin with antioxidants and moisturizer. I recommend using a Vitamin C serum to start followed by a hydrating skin formula, particularly in the winter where dry, lackluster skin is prominent.
- Vitamin C serums, like Skinceuticals CE Ferrulic, play an important role in skincare prevention to neutralize free radical damage and protect from the signs of premature ageing, hyperpigmentation and collagen loss.
- Repair your skin by using a retinol based product to boost collagen production and combat the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. I recommend using retinols sparingly at first, just twice weekly and slowly increasing to nightly once the skin has adjusted. If one uses too frequently at first, one risks dry, flaky skin and decreases your chance of keeping your routine. Slow and steady wins over the course of 8 weeks.
- Protect: Never forget sunscreen even in the winter. Using a broad spectrum sunblock with SPF 30 or greater is important in slowing the ageing process and protecting against skin cancer.
With this simple 3 step process, you can expect glowing beautiful skin. However a few other recommendations in the new year include:
- Detox your beauty bag: Remember all skincare and make up has a shelf life. You can find the expiration time on the product packaging.
- Clean your make up brushes
- Drink more water to help eliminate toxins
- Eat better for your skin: Eat plenty of fruits and veggies, eat lean protein and minimize your glycemic index.
- Say no to sugar: Sugar is an aggrevator of inflammation and hastens the breakdown of collagen
- Regular sleep is important in skin regeneration and lack of sleep will increase signs of ageing such a fine lines and wrinkles. Sleep deprivation adds stress to the body, triggering the release of cortisol, the stress hormone which has negative effects on collagen metabolism.
- Keep it light. Stress causes inflammation by increasing the stress hormone cortisol
Posted on Categories: Uncategorised