Why is eye cream important?
The periorbital area, also known as the area around the eye, is particularly vulnerable to ageing. Eyelid skin is extremely fragile and thin, at only 0.05mm thick, and therefore the most delicate skin on our bodies. When you think that the underlying musculature (22 muscles and approximately 10,000 blinks per day) is under constant exertion, it is understandable that the eye are is prone to appearing more wrinkled. Unfortunately, the periorbital skin also has less sebaceous glands, making it more prone to losing moisture and becoming dryer and, with time, there is a decrease in elastin and collagen production. As we age, the bony structures below the skin also change and remottel or resorb making it appear to age more quickly. External environmental factors like sluggish microcirculation can also exacerbate tired looking eyes, making them appear darker. Because of the thin overlying skin, markers for poor circulation are more prominently revealed around the eyes than on other parts of the body. The more dehydrated the skin around the eyes, the more tired and fatigued they appear.
There are many eye serums and creams that are available on the market as the periorbital area needs effective yet gentle treatment, although your regular daily facial serum or cream may be enough. However, creams for the periorbital area are preferable as they tend to be thicker than serums. These creams are specifically formulated with active ingredients aimed for this delicate area which help combat fatigue and signs of skin ageing. It is important to note that with the application of eye products, the biggest mistake people make is that they apply the product too aggressively or they do not use enough. Also many people forget to use sunscreen which is very important as the periorbital area is very delicate and sensitive.
When treating the periorbital area, it is important to look for ingredients that have potent antioxidants which protect from free radical damage and promote collagen production. MZ Skin’s Smooth and Soothe has the following ingredients below to help combat pesky eye problems:
- Albizia Julibrissin Bark Extract:(Soothe and Smooth) helps lift, repair and revive skin, reduces pigmentation and puffiness
- Kahai oil: (Soothe and Smooth)Rich in nourishing essential fatty acid, potent Vitamin A, Vitamin E helps boost the skins natural renewal process to rebuild and replenish
- Growth Factors: (as in Rest and Revive) aid in tissue repair to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
- Hyaluronic Acid:(Soothe and Smooth) helps smooth the surface of dry skin, improving the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, hydrates, firms and protects collagen and helps with elastic production
- Tri-Peptides:(Soothe and Smooth) known to stimulate cell growth and reduce depth of wrinkles while increasing skin thickness, increases cell cohesion in the vulnerable epidermis, providing long-term water retention
- Ceramides:(Soothe and Smooth) helps to prevent water loss and improve elasticity
There are many different aspects of periorbital ageing that are overlooked and must be considered. Of course there are dynamic rhytides (or wrinkles) that are a direct consequence of emotion; however, with proper skincare, we can slow the rate of rhytide formation, keeping a rejuvenated and more youthful appearance for longer.
With all of this in mind, the answer to a more youthful complexion may not lie in simply focussing on the age lines, but rather on creating a more radiant and hydrated eye area. It is our goal to maintain healthy, radiant skin with proper skincare to reveal, enhance and protect the face and the area around the eye. The more hydrated the skin, the less vulnerable we are to the signs of ageing.