Dermal fillers are popular non-surgical treatments use to enhance the appearance by restoring volume and contouring the face. However, repeated use of fillers can lead to filler fatigue and facial distortion, which can result in a less natural and more exaggerated appearance. Here’s what you need to know about filler fatigue, facial distortion, and how to prevent it, based on facts.
Filler fatigue is a term used to describe the diminished effect of fillers over time due to repeated injections. Studies have shown that repeated use of fillers can lead to the accumulation of filler resulting in a more ‘done’ appearance to look ‘puffy’, ‘overfilled,’ or worse, distorted.
So, what can you do to get the most natural result from dermal fillers?
- Follow a conservative approach: It is essential to follow a conservative approach when using dermal fillers, especially in areas where there is a high risk of facial distortion, such as the cheeks and lips. Take a holistic approach, considering the overall balance and proportion of the face, rather than focusing solely on individual areas.
- Choose the right filler: Different fillers have different properties and are designed for different purposes.
- Space out injections: Spacing out injections can help prevent filler fatigue and allow for better tissue integration. Although we say hyaluronic acid fillers last 4-18 months depending on the type, location and amount of filler used, often times fillers can linger for years. Only return for repeat treatment if the issue has returned, not because it has been a certain amount of time that has passed.
- Avoid over-injection: Over-injection can lead to facial distortion and a less natural appearance. Prioritize a natural and balanced appearance.
- Seek out a qualified practitioner whose ethics and outcomes resonate with you.
Dermal fillers are a wonderful tool that can enhance the appearance of the face by restoring volume and improving contours. Remember to be conservative and prioritise a natural and balanced appearance. Classic natural beauty is always in!